What is the lethal dose for lithium carbonate
s***@yahoo.com
2008-08-13 08:01:33 UTC
Does anyone know the LD50 for lithium carbonate. I have lithium
carbonate pills at 45mg per pill.

How many pills will I need for acute toxicity/ lethal dose?

cheers
supernatural
2008-08-13 09:29:39 UTC
"The amount you said is not toxic for an adult, or likely even for a
child. The LD50 dose is 525 mg for every kilogram of your body weight.
But in English/American units, this turns into about 240 mg for every
pound of your body weight. If you are over 100 pounds in weight, then
you would need over 24000 mg of lithium carbonate to be at the LD50
dose. Incase you don't know, "LD50" means the amount of toxic
substance required for you have a 50/50 chance of being killed."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070124173458AAU6mUI

Looks like that substance would take a zillion pills for you to
overdose on it. You would need to ingest something like 500 pills.
That's crazy dude.
s***@yahoo.com
sorry - there is a typo - 450mg per tablet! (not 45mg).
s***@yahoo.com
2008-08-13 10:38:04 UTC
Theres a typo - I meant to type 450mg not 45mg!
s***@yahoo.com
2008-08-13 10:43:12 UTC
...so considering I have tablets and each tablet is 450mg and I weigh
70kg how many tablets do I swallow?

considering 525mg = 1 kg

I am not good at maths (please show working out)!

Thanks supernatural
Blackened_blood
2008-08-13 13:38:15 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
...so considering I have tablets and each tablet is 450mg and I weigh
70kg how many tablets do I swallow?
considering 525mg = 1 kg
I am not good at maths (please show working out)!
Thanks supernatural
Hi,

At least 82 pills / tablets.

70 (kg) * 525 (mg) = 36750 mg - that would be the amount
of your lithium carbonate needed for 70 kg person to OD

36750 (mg) / (divided by) 450 (mg) = 81,66666 - that's the
number of pills you would need.

B_b
s***@yahoo.com
2008-08-13 13:57:05 UTC
Thanks blackend, you are good at maths!

Just another maths questioon then:

I read that another lethal dose is 15 pounds per 300mg.

I work in kilograms so 1kg = 2.20 pounds.

What is the lethal dose if I use this calculation (my weight is 70kg
and I have 450mg per tablet).

I worked out I would only need 7 tablets but judging from what you
said I am definitely not doing it properly.
Blackened_blood
2008-08-13 14:18:53 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Thanks blackend, you are good at maths!
I read that another lethal dose is 15 pounds per 300mg.
I work in kilograms so 1kg = 2.20 pounds.
What is the lethal dose if I use this calculation (my weight is 70kg
and I have 450mg per tablet).
I worked out I would only need 7 tablets but judging from what you
said I am definitely not doing it properly.
Thanks, but I don't think I'm good at maths at all. And maybe someone
will prove my calculations wrong, you never know.
I hope someone else checks them soon.
But let's see...
Yes, the result is only 7 tablets, so your calculations are right. But
I think that lethal dose of 300 mg per 15 pounds must be wrong. I
don't believe that 7 tablets of that stuff is enough to overdose and
die.
s***@yahoo.com
2008-08-13 22:21:13 UTC
Hi Blackend,

Yes you are good at Maths!

I heard that the theraphetic dose is extremely close to the lethal
dose. Thats why I had to get my blood checked the first two days and
then the following week and week after. Then you get it checked once
every 3 months. I read that twice the recommended dose can kill.
Blackened_blood
2008-08-13 14:25:53 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Does anyone know the LD50 for lithium carbonate. I have lithium
carbonate pills at 45mg per pill.
How many pills will I need for acute toxicity/ lethal dose?
cheers
And yeah, mind what supernatural said: 525 mg for every kilogram is
the LD50 dose:
"LD50 means the amount of toxic substance required for you have a
50/50 chance of being killed."

So, if I am not mistaken, by taking 82 pills you get 50% chance of
dying.
Well, then...I guess the number of tablets needed for a certain death
would be at least 160-170 ?
Avalanche
2008-08-13 20:37:51 UTC
Post by Blackened_blood
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Does anyone know the LD50 for lithium carbonate. I have lithium
carbonate pills at 45mg per pill.
How many pills will I need for acute toxicity/ lethal dose?
cheers
And yeah, mind what supernatural said: 525 mg for every kilogram is
"LD50 means the amount of toxic substance required for you have a
50/50 chance of being killed."
So, if I am not mistaken, by taking 82 pills you get 50% chance of
dying.
Well, then...I guess the number of tablets needed for a certain death
would be at least 160-170 ?
No, LD50 was the point at which half the control group dies. Please
bear in mind the control group will be rats or dogs - they
unfortunately don't conduct these tests on humans (most awesome game
of russian roulette ever).
s***@yahoo.com
2008-08-13 22:24:12 UTC
Hi Avalance,

I guess it is a game of russian roulette.

For me (and I am only being 100% honest) I don't want to die but I
don't want to live either - so playing russian roulette with my life
(and mine only) suits me fine. I am a bit philosophical about it - if
I survive then it was meant to be. I think I will go with the 7 and I
can make it look like an accident...someone might think I forgot to
take meds and took them twice.
mut80r
2008-08-14 01:53:28 UTC
they unfortunately don't conduct these tests on humans
(most awesome game of russian roulette ever).
ROTFLoLMFAO.